Hiring me in Québec, Canada

15 Oct 2020
4 Jan 2023
2 minutes

So you want to hire me as an employee, but you don’t have a legal entity in Canada. Lucky for you, there are three easy solutions:

  1. You create a legal entity in Canada: it doesn’t matter if you incorporate in another province or territory than Québec, nor if you incorporate at the federal level, I can work for you.

This solution only make sense if you plan to hire more people here. It is easy, and inexpensive (1500$ & one week later it was done—the cost was “high” caused I used a lawyer to do it for me), but it may not be a possibility depending on your legal department and company.

With that said, here’s the two easiest, and legal, ways to hire me without a local entity:

  1. You use a Professional Employer Organization (PEO). They will be the middleperson between your company and myself. On paper, I will work for them: in reality, I will talk to them only for taxes purposes. You will pay them as a service provider including my compensation, cost of benefits, and a fee for their service. The benefit of using a POE is that you can also provide benefits like health insurances. There are plenty out there, just don’t use Deel, they are terrible;
  2. You hire me as a consultant toward my company, Developer Relations as a Service Inc. It’s the same principle as a PEO: on paper I work for my company, but day-to-day, you won’t see any difference between me and a “real” employee. I’ll send you invoices for my salary, and the payment processing fees, which I wouldn’t have as an employee. The benefit of hiring me toward my company is the cost saving, and one less intermediary;

In the end, no matter the solution you choose, it will change absolutely nothing for the day-to-day work. So, there is no more reason for not hiring me!

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.